CHURCH OF THE HOLY SPIRIT (Episcopal)

Church of the Holy Spirit (Episcopal)

220 E. Main Street/P.O.Box 174

Tuckerton, New Jersey 08087

609-296-9618

The Reverend Martha McKee, Vicar

A Brief History of Holy Spirit Episcopal Church

Holy Spirit began as the dream of a Philadelphia-born woman named Mary White. After moving to Tuckerton in the 1940's, Mary saw a need for Episcopal church services. She generously opened her home on Wood Street to a small congregation with The Reverend Russell Clapp of Holy Innocents Church, Beach Haven, officiating. Thus it was that Holy Spirit Church was born. Tragically, Mary died as a result of a house fire in 1952. Still resolute to carry on, the congregation held morning prayer at the home of Clinton and Betty Macauley, in Parkertown. In 1960, the Diocese acquired this home, and the first service was held on July 9, 1961. Later that same year, 24 families were granted permission to organize a mission under the name of the Church of the Holy Spirit. After Clinton Macauley retired, Jerome Walnut of Barnegat Light presided over morning prayer.

 In 1967, Deacon Charles Birkby, while studying for the priesthood, was assigned to this mission church and moved into the Parkertown home. He was later ordained a priest and served until 1973. After his retirement, Holy Spirit was led by a supply priest until 1976 when Morris Hulsizer was designated the Bishop's man-in -charge. The congregation experienced a growth spurt and a new location was purchased for the expanding parish. After extensive renovations to a building that had been owned by the telephone company, Holy Spirit had yet another new home on Green Street in Tuckerton. The first service was held on All Saints Day in 1979. In early 1980, Deacon Morris Hulsizer was ordained The Reverend Hulsizer. Tragically again, while driving to church on Route 9, the Hulsizers' car was struck head on and both husband and wife were killed. The Reverend William Stott, retired rector of the Church of the Advent in Cape May, served as the supply priest. From 1989 to approximately 2005, Holy Spirit experienced a succession of short-term and supply priests.

In 2005, the congregation called the The Reverend Terry Martin, then a parishioner at Saint Marks-All Saints in Galloway. Thanks to his vision, and with the help of Canon Lee Powers, Holy Spirit was able to acquire the old quarters of St. Theresa's Catholic Church, a beautiful, large facility located in the heart of Tuckerton. Moving day was August 22, 2006, and the church was dedicated at a joyful service by the Bishop George Counsell in September of that year.

Our church  was blessed in 2009 with the arrival of our current Vicor, The Rev. Martha McKee and she has led us through the difficult time of "Storm Sandy" with her dedication and love for the community. In 2013 Deacon Richard Wisniewski joined  us and is assisting Mother  Martha in her ministry.


Free website hit counter